Pericles is a pioneering and original training-and-work project for young people and adults with special learning needs and/or mental health problems.
The project offers practical and artistic activities within small groups that are introduced according to both need and capability, complemented by specialist therapeutic activities. The approach to individual development, training and work at Pericles has been developed out of the work of Rudolf Steiner and John Ruskin, placing a strong emphasis on ecological ways of working with the Earth‚Äôs resources and an holistic view of development.
Day facilities are available for up to forty eight weeks a year in addition to a limited number of residential places in small-scale settings.
Pericles provides opportunities to:
- Gain self-confidence and skills through experiencing achievement in a wide variety of practical and artistic activities.
- Learn to respect self, others and the environment through working on the land and in craft production using sustainable resources and methods.
- Benefit from small group activities and from individually timetabled programmes.
- Develop the social and interpersonal skills needed to live and work alongside others.
- Gain strength and reassurance through individual therapies that are integrated into the daily work schedule.
- Acquire and increase independence and integration through small scale shared supported housing.